Wednesday 4 July 2007

Review: The Marianne Trilogy by Sheri Tepper

This is a very unusual contemporary fantasy trilogy about a young woman living in the present-day USA, although with ancestry stretching back to a small (and fictitious) country in a very remote part of the Middle East, where magic is still practised - and it works. She unwittingly becomes involved in a battle between representatives of the two parts of her divided ancestral country: one good, the other evil. As a result, she is thrown into several other, totally bizarre, magical worlds, where she has to rely on her wits to survive. This is a beautifully written, exciting and romantic adventure story, with a plot quite unlike anything else I have ever read. It is my favourite contemporary fantasy.

3 comments:

Alan said...

High praise indeed! I'll have to check it out.

awsnyde said...

I agree with you completely; it's one of the best things I've ever read. I had to pay $70 for a used copy of the final book in the trilogy, but it was well worth it.

The Marianne Trilogy is even better than her science-fiction novel "Grass", which I consider to be among the best science-fiction I've ever read.

Anthony G Williams said...

Thanks for your message, I'm delighted to find a fellow fan of this trilogy!

I can't understand how something so good by such a well-known author could just vanish with scarcely a trace. It's almost unobtainable now, except at very high prices.